It’s that time of the year again people, the Oscar season is officially on as the nominees for the 91st Academy Awards are set be announced tomorrow! So without further ado, let me to tell you about my predictions for this year’s Oscars nominees!
2. A Star is Born
3. If Beale Street Could Talk
4. Green Book
5. The Favourite
7. Black Panther
9. Bohemian Rhapsody
I would’ve picked only 7 films for this category but I added Vice and Bohemian Rhapsody. The latter is due to the fact that it went on to become the highest-grossing musical biographical film of all-time and with Rami Malek racking up six Best Actor awards as of press time. Vice on the hand is one of the critics’ favorites from last year despite tanking at the box office.
1. Alfonso Cuaron, Roma
2. Bradley Cooper, A Star is Born
3. Yorgos Lanthimos, The Favourite
4. Spike Lee, BlacKkKlansman
5. Marielle Heller, Can You Ever Forgive Me?
This is an easy pick for me but I put Heller’s name into the mix because I feel like she deserved some sort of recognition for her work along with Melissa McCarthy and Richard E. Grant.
1. Bradley Cooper, A Star is Born
2. Rami Malek, Bohemian Rhapsody
3. Christian Bale, Vice
4. Viggo Mortensen, Green Book
5. Ethan Hawke, First Reformed
This looks like a pretty solid line-up for me but if there’s someone who could usurp Ethan Hawke spot, it would be Luca Hedges for Boy Erased.
1. Glenn Close, The Wife
2. Lady Gaga, A Star is Born
3. Olivia Colman, The Favourite
4. Melissa McCarthy, Can You Ever Forgive Me?
5. Emily Blunt, Mary Poppins Returns
My rank 1-4 are pretty much locked for this category. At first, I picked First Man’s Claire Foy but Emily Blunt’s name last year made some serious buzz so she may just complete the 5th spot. Viola Davis could also pose some serious mixed-up for this race but for now, I thought it’s just pure hype. I also didn’t include Yalitza Aparicio because I feel that she came in late in the competition.
Best Supporting Actor
1. Timothée Chalamet, Beautiful Boy
2. Mahershala Ali, Green Book
3. Richard E. Grant, Can You Ever Forgive Me?
4. Sam Elliott, A Star is Born
5. Adam Driver, BlacKkKlansman
This is pretty much my top 5 for the Supporting Actor category.
Best Supporting Actress
1. Regina King, If Beale Street Could Talk
2. Rachel Weisz, The Favourite
3. Emma Stone, The Favourite
4. Margot Robbie, Mary Queen of Scots
5. Amy Adams – Vice
This category is a bit tricky because The Favourite’s stars Emma and Rachel are both in my list which I thought are rightfully deserved spot for them but I feel that only one of them will get the nod and I’m leaning towards Rachel Weisz.
Best Animated Feature
1. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
2. Incredibles 2
3. The Grinch
4. Ralph Breaks the Internet
5. Isle of Dogs
I feel that Isle of Dogs has a much stronger campaign than Mirai so there ya go.
Best Film Editing
3. Black Panther
5. Green Book
This was an easy-peasy category for me – another solid top 5.
Best Visual Effects
1. Black Panther
2. Mary Poppins Returns
3. Solo: A Star Wars Story
4. Ready Player One
5. First Man
Best Original Song
1. Shallow, A Star is Born
2. Revelation, Boy Erased
3. The Place Where Lost Things Go, Mary Poppins Returns
4. I’ll Fight, RBG
5. All The Stars, Black Panther
This is just between Shallow and I’ll Fight to be honest.
I won’t be posting the rest of the categories as this was the same predictions I’ve submitted at 8th Pinoy Exhange Guess The Oscar Nominees Game!